• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clam dead, Scallop Dead !!! ???

Ok what eats clams and scallops besides me of course. Found my clam dead 4 days ago and today I found the scallop shell empty. The clam was shrunken down to almost nothing. Nothing else seems to be affected.

Would a hungry harlequin shrimp do it ??

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A harlequin shrimp only eats the tube feet off of starfish so I don't think that is your culprit. Both clams and scallops are very sensitive to water quality so check your parameters. How old was your tank that you put them in? They usually suggest waiting 6-8 months before putting a clam in a tank.

Scallops are notorius for dying within six months. They are very hard to feed and use up their "storage" before then.

Besides listing your livestock, could you also please tell us what type of clam it was, how long you've had it, and where it was placed?

Sorry to know that rich. I am thinking of putting clams in my system as well, but cheaper ones than the one you had. I did read some posts saying whelks( snails of some sort) eat clams and don't bother anything else. You could perhaps research it and find out if you have any.

I am beginning to think it the big ass crab I found in my tank that could have done them in. This guy is 1 1/2 " and he's a pain in the a$$ to get out

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
diverrk said:
I am beginning to think it the big ass crab I found in my tank that could have done them in. This guy is 1 1/2 " and he's a pain in the a$$ to get out
You can always put a mussle on the end of a fishing line. ;D

Do you have a starfish/brittle star?

Mine took out my LARGE cleaner shrimp this week and I caught him sucking a golfball size snail out of his shell...

D

Deleted member 10862

ive had a problem keeping clams..turns out..my magnesium was low..i got help from a company that specializes i clams..mjm aquaculture..he told me clams need magnesium as well as really good water parameters..check your levels..dose..wait a few weeks/months before going with clams again..