• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clam Pinched Mantle ??? Need Opinions

I posted my clam for trade on MR, and someone there said it has pinched mantle . I never heard of this so I looked it up.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

This clam has been in my tank for several months with no problem. As soon as I introduced the Starry Blenny into the tank, I nocticed him picking on the clam, hence why the clam looks like he does.

Does anybody feel the same as that guy ?

IMG_0920.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My clam looked a lot like that for a while. Something in the tank was bothering him. I moved him to our frag system for a while and when he was happy again we moved him back into the tank. He's happy as a clam now. I suppose it is possible that yours has pinched mantle, but it is also possible that it is annoyed and will get over it after a tank change. I'd hope for the latter!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I say this with ignorance, because I don’t have a clam...not to mention that even if I did, I still don’t know much.

I read the link to cure clam pinch...dip in freshwater for thirty minutes. If you are not sure if you have this disease, wouldn’t it be a wise precaution to do the dip, considering the minimal stress or impact on the clam? This way you now know for sure that it is "clean."

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I get the heebie jeebies when I think of dipping a SW animal of any sort into FW. I personally couldn't do that.

redfishbluefish said:
I say this with ignorance, because I don’t have a clam...not to mention that even if I did, I still don’t know much.

I read the link to cure clam pinch...dip in freshwater for thirty minutes. If you are not sure if you have this disease, wouldn’t it be a wise precaution to do the dip, considering the minimal stress or impact on the clam? This way you now know for sure that it is "clean."

I am contemplating doing it .

I wouldn't do it.....

I had a clam a couple of years ago that had pinched mantel, I did the freshwater dip and followed the directions to the T within 24 hours the clam was dead. Anything I have tried doing a freshwater dip on died.... I do not believe in that type of treatment for any saltwater critters. I bet if you put the clam in another tank with the right lighting it will rebound on it's own.

Ooops :'( Till late. Hopefully it will work out with mine. It started to open up after about 10-15 min of being in the salt again. One thing I noticed is that quite a few of those tiny starfish came of of it immediately. I didn't even notice them on the clam to begin with. Keeping my fingers crossed.