• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

clams

I heard derasas are a little easier than crocea but crocea look much more colorful hows the success rate do they reproduce? any for sale out there? shops charge mega bucks.

I have personally dealt with croceas and they have been good for me.

You need to get a clam over 3" in my opinion for it to work. I have had three total all have been with me over a year, one I sold some time ago and two I have, one a year old and another 3 years old.

They look best when viewed from the top down though.

My clams have spawned, but have never reproduced.

I plan on selling my smaller crocea if your interested. I will photo tomorrow and be placing it up for sale.

Joe

I kept a crocea under T5's that kept working it's way back towards the sand. Was happy and healthy for about 6 months or so before the midnight marauder (gorilla grab) destroyed him one night. I didn't have any difficulty with him at all.

I would agree with Jrod on the size, though. If you go with one a bit bigger, like around 3 to 4 inches, they are said to be easier to acclimate to the change in environments and you have a higher survival rate.

Good luck! I miss my clam. :( Might be time for another one. :)

reeferwanabe said:
I heard derasas are a little easier than crocea but crocea look much more colorful hows the success rate do they reproduce? any for sale out there? shops charge mega bucks.

They are pretty much opposites as far as care goes. Derasa clams are the easiest while Crocea are the hardest. Derasa tolerate just about any light and will live quite happily at the bottom of a 30" tank lit with PCs while crocea need more light then any other clam. Crocea are usually a prettier clam.

Another popular clam is the Maxima which is in the middle of the two but closer to the crocea in care needed and to many is just as beautiful and sometimes more so then the crocea. You can keep either of these two in just about any tank even PCs if you have decent wattage and keep them up on the rocks in the top half of the tank.

The above is "common wisdom". I've never thought that crocea clams (nor most corals for that matter) need as much light as people claim so I've got a half dozen crocea clams sitting 24" under a 65w PC (6,500K) in a separate tank just to see how long they can survive this way. 5 of the 6 are still going strong after 4 months. These were all 2" babies when I started. One was lost early before I dosed this tank with Phyto but it also got knocked over on it's side behind a rock and I didn't notice it for a while. It probably died from not enough light for sure. Once the clams got to about 3" I stopped dosing phyto to this tank.

Here is my crocea I am listing for sale:

IMG_1598.jpg