• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cleaning Used Sump, Tank, and Live Rock

Hey everyone!

Not sure if I should be posting this in tales of the tank or here, but I'm trying to clean out some of the old equipment that I was sold before I use it. Any opinions on if this rock needs to be bleached or cleaned before I throw it into a tank? I also have some nasty build up that I'd like to clean out of the skimmer, tank, and sump. Any suggestions on what to use? I've been spraying vinegar solution and scrubbing, but this stuff is tough.

Thanks,
K9

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2143.jpgIMG_2142.jpgIMG_2139.jpg

Agree with above
Mr clean sponges have worked well for me in past. new razor blades also if take time no scratching will take place. Nice pu btw

erics210

NJRC Member
I had a tank that was a mess!!!
It had vermatid snails everywhere, coraline,.dried water deposits, dried algaes. Since I was trying citric acid powder for the first time on so.e return pumps, I figured, why not on the tank.
Was AMAZING!
Recommends 2 tablespoons per liter.
For the pumps I did that.
I ran them in the 2 gallon container for 5 hours.

Have a quick before and after shot below.

Worked so well, I poured that solution and filled the remainder of the tank.with fresh water and another cup+ of citric acid and turned on the return pump of my 35 gallon frag tank.
Similar to yours. Let it run overnight.
Wiped off the glass, corners and overflow components, and light brushing of the return pump.
Drained into 2 18 gallon rubbermaid a and added the live rock I wanted to clean(outside).

While that was cleaning I filled the tank with tap water and rinsed out.
Was SPOTLESS!!!!
LIKE NEW.
NO vinegar stink.
I used a bleach and water mix with so.e paper towels and wiped down again.
Rinsed and then let air dry.
Was amazing.
Now dont be terrified of the sound of acid. At first I was using gloves. Later I did stick my hands in because I dipped.some pump components and for the life of me could not pick up with gloves. Little rubber seals. I had a small cut. After a little it stung. No other issue. Recommend gloves, buy won't eat the flesh off your hands or anything.
Google it. Was great and will never use vinegar again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_191850169.jpg
    IMG_20210117_191850169.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210118_013156585.jpg
    IMG_20210118_013156585.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
just even if you fill with water it would come off glass after a few days with a razor. same thing with the rest just throw it in there and let it soak.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Lol who’s afraid of citric acid? I agree it works very well and will not penetrate plastic like vinegar. (Only important if you use things with magnets in them like mpxx wetsides)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yep, citric acid works faster than vinegar (acetic acid), and is safer than hydrochloric acid (HCl / Muriatic acid), which could burn your skin and put holes in your clothes, and doesn’t penetrate plastics like acetic acid does.

My only recommendation with Citric acid, if you want to make a batch and keep it around for some time, is to use a preservative because the acid is a food for bacteria. Very easy to fix by adding 0.1% Sodium Benzoate. This is a “safe” preservative found in loads of foods and consumer products. This is available locally at your grocery store or Walmart, as well as online. Now buy the smallest quantity you can find because you only need a pinch. Here’s the amounts I use for a gallon of water…..1 cup of citric acid and 3.8 grams of sodium benzoate. Now you can let it sit around forever.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Yep, citric acid works faster than vinegar (acetic acid), and is safer than hydrochloric acid (HCl / Muriatic acid), which could burn your skin and put holes in your clothes, and doesn’t penetrate plastics like acetic acid does.

My only recommendation with Citric acid, if you want to make a batch and keep it around for some time, is to use a preservative because the acid is a food for bacteria. Very easy to fix by adding 0.1% Sodium Benzoate. This is a “safe” preservative found in loads of foods and consumer products. This is available locally at your grocery store or Walmart, as well as online. Now buy the smallest quantity you can find because you only need a pinch. Here’s the amounts I use for a gallon of water…..1 cup of citric acid and 3.8 grams of sodium benzoate. Now you can let it sit around forever.

Wow, that’s great info. Thank you. I’m going to give it a shot. I usually let some stuff stack up, than make a few gallons in a bucket. This would be great if I could have a soak bucket always ready.

Dave