• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

CO2 for calcium reactor.

I never owned a calcium reactor. I am looking into different models and none seem to come with co2. Where would I buy a canister and are they refillable like propane. If they are refillable where would I go? Can anyone offer me some direction?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A lot of people buy them and refill that at industrial welding supply places. There was some traffc a while ago about using food grade C02 but I'm not sure what ever came of that. I use the stuff from a welding pace and it seems fine.

HTH

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have a 5lb and a 10lb and They last a really long time. I've been running the 10lb for at least 6 months now, probably longer. The 5lb is sitting there filed and waiting for its turn! I just got into the red zone of the 10lb (around 400lbs left), so I should have about 3 - 4 weeks left on it. I would say two 5lbs is probably good. It's nice to always have the backup ready to go.

malulu

NJRC Member
John,

i have a 5-lbs, and almost ready to hookup to use, was thinking to get a bigger one like 10-lbs.

when you say, have a backup, did you mean you only keep a spared tank? or you mean to have a full spare sets (including the regulator/bubble counter...etc.)

thx

He means spare tank filled in case your primary runs out. You can switch it and then get the tank filled at your leasure. Nothing like running out on a saturday evening and having to wait until Monday to get it filled.

the size of the tank should depend on water volume.
if u have a small tank a 10lb will last u a long time
i have a 20lb tank & it lasted over 2 years the first time i filled it,
that's doing 4 bubbles per second, most of the time people start with
1 bubble per 3 seconds to find the sweet spot.
now just because i do 4 bubbles per sec does not mean that everyone with
the same amount of water volume should try that a lot of things come in to
factor when setting up Ur calcium reactor like acrylic chamber size
& also what kind of pump u use to circulate the Co2 in the chamber & not to
mention how Ur Co2 is mixed with the type of media u use.
for example i made a DIY spray bar for my CR & i went from 6 BPS to 4BPS
to have my PH fluent come out at 6.8 with the same drip rate & that mod
made a big difference mixing my media.
some ask how often i change my media & i tell them never it just melts & i add.
i use ARM media if u add to much Co2 & Ur fluent is slow it will become like mush
& u will have to replace it, that has only happend to me one time when my recirculating
pump went bad & the Co2 just melted the media & not to mention dropped my PH that's
why it's good to have a PH controller that turns the Co2 off when Ur PH drops to danger levels

Can anyone recomend a calcium reactor? This is going to be used for a 210 + 110 + 110 sump/refugium. I was looking at this

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=M3-C-1502&Category_Code=creactor

I was going to buy it in the June group buy. Just planning ahead.

do you happen to know about the marinetech site? I don't see prices, are they wholesale? They are only 2 towns away.