• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cobalt water heater

So this is what happened. Late in the afternoon today I started smelling a burning smell (kinda like after you just blew out a match) near my office. I started looking everywhere and could not determine where it was coming from. My wife panicked and called the fire dept. 5 min before they showed up I found out it was coming from the tank. After fire dept left I thought it was my tom aquatics lifter cause the pump was running but not refilling the tank because something got backed up in the tubing. Because of this the cobalt was out of the water in the back of the tank quite awhile. I fixed everything and it was fine.

I left the house for awhile and my wife called me that the smell is back. I rushed home and everything looked fine. I pulled out the cobalt and smelled it and smelled horrible like burnt bacon. I notcied the temp dropped from 78 to 71. (Normally at 78) . I unplugged it and put it in the bathroom sink to see if it would function properly. Plugged it in and left the water running. Once filled I put my hand in the sink and got shocked bad. I unplugged it and now here I am. Luckily I had an extra small heater that I use for making saltwater. (Still need to but one, any recommendations?) not sure why the cobalt didnt automatically shutoff when out of water.
Anyways the back of the tank smells bad still. Everything in the tank looks fine. Fish and corals. Should I be concerned? Why didnt anything get shocked? Should I do a water change just in case?

forgot to mention specs

22gal all in one
1 clown
1 royal gramma
1 firefish
Snails
Cleaner shrimp
About 15 corals mostly sofites and leathers.

Any thoughts?