• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Coral Mounting Tool - Question?

malulu

NJRC Member
Some time when mounting the frag, I always thinking about ONLY IF there is a underwarer drill, i could then drill a hole in some of my Live rock (cause the LR may be too big, or too much trouble to take them out..)

Today, i saw this accessory in HomeDepot, do you guy think this will work??? :eek:
- ofcouse not going to use it with a Dremel...
- but use it with a cordless drill...

any comments - good idea? bad idea?
;D
080596002251_3.jpg

Dremel - Flex-Shaft Attachment
Model 225-01
Price: $29.97/ea

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've been considering the same thing for sometime myself. But I think the shaft is lubricated with some heavy grease. I have one at home. I'll see if I can pull the shaft and check it out.

I had one and used it before my tank cycled. It worked the first time I used it but the salt seems to have messed it up. Unless you want to clean it and re-grease it after using it I'd say it's not worth the trouble.

I didn't realize this until I went to use it again and it "sprung" on me and got thrown in the trash. Mine came with my dremel so I'm not sure if it was just a "cheap" one or exactly the same item.

malulu

NJRC Member
hm...

did not thought of that - grease and salt issue...
:-\

is there anyway to stuff a rubber at the end near the drill bit and not let the salt water comes in?

or is possible to have it in the water, but the grease not come out? how about using the FOOD GRADE grease?

thx

At the time I used it I hadn't thought about grease coming out of it and harming the tank so I'm not sure.

For me it was the salt getting into the unit and even though I thought I washed it pretty good the next time I went to use it I found it not to work and just kept jamming up probably due to salt getting into it. I tried working it out in water both attached to the dremel and not attached but it was hosed at that point.

My best advice if you try it would be to let it run in tap water after your done to try and get as much of the saltwater out of it as possible. This I hadn't done and maybe if I did it would have continued to work.

Carlo

malulu

NJRC Member
mfisher2112,
the issue is, sometime i may want to drill hole on the side (ie. 45 degree) long straight bit would not work.

Carlo,
thanks for the info, i will keep thinking to see if i can find any way to over come this problem. my original concern was afraid of the protential electric shock from the drill.

Rich,
come on, you are smart! can you help to think of something as your next gadget-undersea... i will be the first one in line for this, am sure many more people will do too...
;D

I have never tried it, but if you think about it the rock is porous so if you were able to intensify the output from a water pik you would probably be able to drill out some holes in the rock but it might take awhile.. Just a thought.. use the actual salt water to do the drilling...

Might work if you could pump it out fast enough in a small delivered spray...

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think I would even attempt to drill rock in a disply tank. Did you ever see the dust that drilling rock creats? Your tank would cloud up in a minute.

Great point mikem!

We got so caught up in the tools needed to do this in tank we overlooked the obvious general problem.

Carlo

I don't know about you guys but many of my rocks are balanced just so, critters can crawl on them but if I was to push with enough force to drill something... mounting a frag would be the least of my worries.

I always zip tied my rocks together.. especially in the larger tanks.. but I will still do it in this smaller tank as well, once I get the look where I want it. Then I drill some extra holes just so I can mount future frags or larger corals in place as well... Patience, Patience, I got it!

malulu

NJRC Member
i am like mynd, my rock have ZIP tied to the PVC pipe (see below for more details), beside i have a 210g display tank, and with 130g sump, 100g refugium, so the REAL total water volume is close to 380g, so one hole of dirt won't matter much... ;D (i guess... ???)

my tank have PVC pipe-frame lay down first, then sand, it have about 4 inch space in between for water circulation and fish to swim in. one of the reason i raise it this high is because the LFS sell me the 150W x 3 MH-light since day 1. at that time i don't know anything, it is under power for a 30" high tank, so i raise all the LR higher to make up the light loss... ;D until i have enough $ to get a bigger light. (actually, i mean until i save up enough of my lunch $ to get a new light, so the wife won't freak out again when she see the credit card bill... cause i am using cash this time!!!) ;)

FRONT view:
332_18_03_07_10_04_58.gif

SIDE view:
332_18_03_07_10_05_56.gif

malulu

NJRC Member
cayars said:
Bread and water for lunch for a couple of months should just about do it. :)

my lunch normally cost $8.50 in jersey city, so, $8.5 x 5 days x 9 weeks ==> $382.5

cool, just tell me where can i get a 250W x 3 MH Light for $382 ?? do you have a used one up for sale??
;)