• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Corals

I am very fascinated with corals. I don't have any in my tank. I've had it up or about 2 months now. When is the right time to get corals. How do you take care of them? Since I have a metal hallide light what corals am I able to get and not get?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Since you are new to corals I would stick with some easier things...

Mushrooms, Green Star Polyps, Certain Leathers... Stay with softies in the beginning.. That's how I got started...IMHO they are much easier to care for, they don't need the addition of calcium and are pretty forgiving as long as your parameters aren't totally out of whack. You can ask people in the club about frags of corals (little pieces of coral, cut from a mother colony). That is the cheapest way to go.

definately start off with some softies. green star polyps, mushrooms and leathers are good first corals.

its better for your tank to mature a little and you have some more experience before you move on to hardeer to keep corals.