• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Could i keep sps?

Alright I've got 130w lights on my 20g long and i was wondering if i could keep sps corals and if so what would be a good one for starters

Thanks!

eholceker

NJRC Member
i think you would be alright with any montipora, hydnophora and possibly birdsnest. i keep all of these in my tank with out halides.

Cool i always wanted a cap they always looked cool, Now heres somethings thats been on my mind, Where is a good place to get corals online that have good prices and dont charge 50 bucks for shipping

C

concept3

Nick I would be more than happy to give you some Monti caps and the two remaining digitata frags I have for free, including a birdsnest if you wanna try that out too.

PM me if you need my address, but I'm pretty far down south for most people...

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nick Galloway is about 30 to 40 minutes from you.
Not a bad deal I wish I could find them like that. Free bee is all ways cool ;D

cool i'll have to try and talk my parents into driving me down there if not maybe at a meeting or something
Thanks for the offer i'll let you know

when i had my 20 gallon with 130 pc, i tried sps. i even changed out the bulbs for max PAR and i just couldn't keep sps. everything else was overkill too. turboflotor skimmer with or2700 20 gallon sump, mj 1200 on wave maker, you get the picture. i wish you better luck than i had.

I think that to keep sps, is more about water quality, and water turnover, you can have some low light sps, but if you lack one of those two more likely the sps will die, i know for first hand experience :-[

Gabe

Hey Nick

I have some M. Digi growing in my tank. Came on some live rock I bought and it's doing ok. At that time all I had was a
4/55 pc light, and I added a 2 normal output 40 watt bulbs I had in my closet for years. I didn't thrive, but it didn't die either.

Now with my new lights, 6x54 Tek, it seems to be growing. Also have something simliar growing on one of the rocks I got, looks like another monti. I didn't think I could keep them either, but I guess they will live as long as I keep my partameters somewhat stable. And trust me, there are times my tank is the last thing in my list, so maintenance gets pushed way down my list. Get the skimmer, and give it a shot. You never know.

rev

SPS is very heavy on water quality. Granted there are a few that you can do with sucess, most have been named earlier in the thread. I will say, that even though nests and caps should live in your tank pretty well with your current lights, you wont get the awesome growth that you would with MH.

You could try to feed them every other day to help compensate the growth issue from the lights. I use frozen Rotifers, 1 cube every other day.

yea i mean as long as they don't die and they are healthy i wouldn't mind trying a bird nest or some caps. i'm going to see if ILC as some. I'll try and pick up some rotifer too.

Thanks,
Nick

eholceker

NJRC Member
I think you would get good growth and have nice color with a lot of the sps corals with that much lighting. Personally I think flourescents give sps better color than halides. Stick with a variety of montipora and keep them fairly high in the tank and I think you will be fine.