• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Covering the tank...help!

I had glass covers for the used 72g bow but they were so dirty and clouded that I tossed them. Plus they were chipped so I didnt want to risk breaking.

So now I need to find a way to cover the tank...or decide not to cover it at all.

The tank is up against a wall that has the staircase. I think covering it might be a good idea for a few reasons:

1. Dust/cat hair kicked up from the stairs wont land in the tank
2. Dust kicked up from the ceiling fan wont land in the tank
3. Triggers can spit...I dont want trigger spit all over the wall

So if I do indeed cover it I need a few ideas.

What is making this difficult is the fact that the remora skimmer is hanging on the side of the tank so that the tank can sit closer to the wall. So this means the glass hinge tops wont fit...at least the one side wont fit unless I cut it.

Over the weekend I got some 080 thick acrylic and made a cover but this quickly bowed on me. Much too thin.

Should I simply go with a thicker piece of acrylic?

Im not so concerned about light penetration for corals so having it closed isnt a huge deal.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Also...I need ideas on cutting the acrylic. The acrylic knife wont cut through a thicker piece and my dremel just melts the plastic and makes it a very tough cut.

Thanks!

malulu

NJRC Member
how about something like this:

Solar Light Umbrella Cappuccino with Foldable Base
Note: it comes with moon-light!! ;D
755305441460_3.jpg

just kidding...
;)

RichT and reneeRN are both expert on acrylic work, you may want to PM them for advise.
;)

malulu

NJRC Member
- i think you can have the top made (assuming 30 by 18 - for easy to reference below...)
- then cut some thin strips as 3/4 by 18
- then glue the strips under the top as 90 degree (Perpendicularly position), this way, it may hold to prevent the bowed.