• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

CPR Dual BakPak?

Hey guys,

I found a CPR Dual BakPak for 50bucks. I'm hoping someone has it and could tell me if i should get it or not. Any feedback on this skimmer? I'm guessing it'd skimmer the crap out of my 20g???

Thanks,

Nick

Personally, I'm not a fan of any CPR products. This is after having used some of them and found them wanting.

However, for $50, it may be worth a try. Something like a AquaC Remora, which I'd typically recommend costs about $200. If the CPR doesn't work you are not out much.

I use a CPR bak-pak on my 30 cube tank. It works, but the most frustrating things about it are:

-it has to be adjusted everyday, in other words, you have to play with the air adjustment to get it to work, and sometimes you even have to drop the pre-skimmer box (something I purchased seperately because it does a terrible job of removing the surface scum) and remove where it attached to the maxijet pump. The little holes get clogged very quickly/easily.

-it is very loud, even with all the modifications they recommend on their website to quiet it down and make it run better.

-Customer service is not very helpful. They have a website with a forum where a representative will answer your questions, but it is always the same answers. Go to their website and take a look at their forums to get an idea of what I mean. I was surprised that they tell you that "modifying" their product will make it run better. Usually companies don't endorse that because it begs the question "Why not just make it like that to begin with then?".

Anyway, I am switching to a sump set-up as soon as I work out my RO/DI filter issues. If I were in the market again for a HOB type skimmer, I wouldn't get another bak-pak.

Sorry to sound so negative on this product, isn't terrible, but as I said, it is loud and you have to be committed to playing with the thing every night to keep it working.

Take care,
Tina

OK,
I heard that they are loud... But not that you gotta adjust it everyday, dang...
Thanks Tina. I'll probably hold off and wait for a AquaC