• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Crab ID???

I just found him tonight and grabbed him. His leggs are hairy if that helps with the ID. Should I keep him or toss him?

HPIM00961.gif

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hard to tell from that picture...but I think hairy usually isn't good...

Stick him in the sump!

Other than pom pom and porcelain crabs - my personal opinion is to toss him. Do not stop at the jersey shore to drop off...

I know folks like emerald and sally lightfoots - but I've always believed the right mixture of snails will eliminate any need for a crab (hermits included).

Or I guess you could drop him in your sump...it's more than likely to be from the family Xanthidae...

It might be a gorilla crab. In any event usually the hairy crabs are usually predatory carnivores and are not reef safe. I would toss him in the sump or get rid of him all together just to be on the safe side.

Harry

That looks an AWEFUL lot like my previous midnight marauder.

GET RID OF HIM, MAN!

Seriously, he killed off over $500 worth of fish and corals and caused me to tear my tank apart to get him out.

He may be ok in your sump, but keep him far far away from your display!

Thanks for everyone's advice. He is now gone. I was thinking about puttin ghim in the sump but I put fish in there from time to time as a holding spot if they are "bad" in the display and I did not want them to get taken by him!