• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

culerpa question

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The lighting period is only one factor for caulerpa going sexual.Whether you run the lights revers from or the same as your tank lights doesn't matter from the standpoint of it going sexual. Keeping it pruned back will help stop it from going sexual. I have been keeping different varieties of caulerpa for a few years and have never had an episode of it going sexual. I grow it in my tanks and just prune it every few weeks and it does fine.

how exactly do you keep it pruned back.. just get rid of some? how can i tell if the culerpa is too big? will i be able to tell if it is going sexual?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What type of caulerpa do you have? Usually a good indication that it is getting ready to go sexual is you will see the tips of the leaves turning white.

To prune it, just pull some out every once in a while. I prune when I see it starting to get too thick in the tank. If it's i a fuge You don't want to let it get so thick that it stops or slows the water flow.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Grape caulerpa isn't really known for going sexual. That is why I asked what type you had. There are many species of caulerpa, some are more prone to going sexual than others.

When you see it is growing too much, just take some out and you should be fine.