• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cyanobacteria & *%#

erics210

NJRC Member
The first time I experienced a Cyano bloom it did a number on my tank. Killed many SPS by smothering them in that red film.
I cleaned and did small water changes daily for a week or two but couldn't get ahead. During my water changed I would siphon the red covered sand.
Aside from more powerheads and less light, the thing that finally helped in addition to water changes was I started to filter the sand directly into the sump/filter socks. This let do sand cleaning mutliple times a day without having to do full water changes. I have like 40 filter socks, so the once they began to clog with red debris, I swapped out. After a few days I was in a much better position to deal with the remaining clusters. Still get a pocket every now and then when I try and adjust my lights a little, but usually doesn't stay around too long. The key is to try and remove as much of the red slime by net or siphon. blowing it around doesnt necessarily help.