• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Diatom Filters ---> Vortex XL VS System 1

Can anyone give me some real expereinces (The good, the bad, and the UGLY!) about these two diatom filters.

Some of the questions I have are.

1) Which one is easier to use.
2) Most efficient diatom filter.
3) Easiest to maintain (Cleaning wise.).

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an XL. They take 3 and 1/2 cups of powder so if you are just doing occasional water polishing I'd go with the smaller model.

They get real funky if you let it sit a few days between uses. You need to backflush and change powder between uses and unless you clean a lot of tanks at one time, its a waste of powder. You can use the big bags of diatom powder available in pool supply stores.

It's great for cleaning up major messes like when reaquascaping the tank or adding sand for the first time.

I've used a Vortex XL, and before that, the standard model, for about 40 years. Yes, the design is that old, and more or less unchanged today.

This is a filter to be used mostly as a water polisher. It's an extremely fine mechanical filter. The filter is best used when you want to "muck out" or vacuum out a tank. It's very effective when used with a gravel washer for sand bed cleaning.

Before you run out and spend the money to get one, my question to you is why do you feel you need one? I would consider the Vortex to be something nice to have, but not critical. In many cases, you money is better spent on an upgrade to the existing filtration system, or on something you will use more often. I only use mine on my reef once or twice a year.