• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dieing corals?!?! help!!!

some of my corals are starting to die off. i first noticed it about a month ago on a small colony of birdnest looked like an algea type thing was covering it over but theres really no algea in my tank... now i see other colonys starting to look very poorly two more of birdsnest a red digi and two acros. one acro is turning an ugly green color and looking bad. anyone know what this might be? some type of parisite or something??? water params are pretty good.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Do you have any pics? Did you introduce anything new into the tank recently? Do you do any dips on your corals when you add them? How has the heat level in your tank been?

Until we have more information it is going to be tough for anyone on here to diagnose a problem.

mnat said:
Do you have any pics? Did you introduce anything new into the tank recently? Do you do any dips on your corals when you add them? How has the heat level in your tank been?

Until we have more information it is going to be tough for anyone on here to diagnose a problem.

i can take pics later tonight. nothing has been introduced into tank in quite some time actually. no dips or anything on corals and the temp in tank varies from 78-80 and i have a chiller running. I think im going to blame my calcium level for this. i touched one of my plates and it literally dicintigrated into my hand almost. weak coral= low calc? i really need to get a bettter test kit then the one i have... do stores do calc tests?

Its really hard to say what the problem is without a full description of your system and photos. It could be a number of things like pests or disease. However after reading the thread I am led to believe you weren't dosing or testing your water.

If you have an SPS tank like I do and many other members, you should be testing your water and dosing calcium & alkalinity on a regular basis. SPS corals can be difficult, they like stable water and extremely low levels of phosphate & nitrate.

If you need any help let me know.

Gecko said:
Its really hard to say what the problem is without a full description of your system and photos. It could be a number of things like pests or disease. However after reading the thread I am led to believe you weren't dosing or testing your water.

If you have an SPS tank like I do and many other members, you should be testing your water and dosing calcium & alkalinity on a regular basis. SPS corals can be difficult, they like stable water and extremely low levels of phosphate & nitrate.

If you need any help let me know.

Its mixed alot of sps and lps and a large yellow leather. but i do regularly check my calcium and other lvls but im worried my calc test kit isnt accurate I need one that is more reliable than the one i have. i dose kent marine liquid reactor for calc and amino acids for coloration also i feed my corals daily rotifers and phytoplankton.

N

njstillwell

api test kits are good for ph levels and nitrate and nitrite thats about it. I also use salifert for everything else a much more pin point answer compared to api in those areas

mr_X said:
i second the api comment. not for calcium or alk.

Yea third that I was to cheap to go buy a Salifert calcium test and just picked up an API one what a mistake! Ive been figthing to get my calcium up because the API kept showing it was at 380 ran up to Aqua Oceans tonight to have him test it for me and my calcium is at 500 OUCH lesson learned :(

k.. just wondering cause i remember the other day i saw a post on here about dude feedin phyto every day and his levels goin outta whack.... guess moderation is the key to everything

i never add phytoplankton to the tank and my sps grows fine. that said, i hear the best way to add it, is with a constant drip. the problem with that is you'll have poor water quality in no time at all.
just keep up with waterchanges and they will do well. new tanks are not the best ones for sps. sps didn't do well in my 1st tank for the first 6 months, until things got settled in.