• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Different HQI bulbs.

I have two fixtures one by current and one by Hamilton Reefstar.

Some HQI bulbs don't have the propper slot ends to fit in current's fixtures. The reefstar pendant only fits these bulbs.
150hqib.jpg

The Currents fit these..
ushio_hqi.jpg

See the different ends.... how can you tell which company makes which bulb?

The first one is a 150 watt and the second is a 250 watt, the ends on HQI bulbs are differant for the wattage. that's why you can't upgrade a HQI fixture from a 150 to a 250 watt by just changing the ballast. the sockets would also need to be changed.

Tom are you 100% on that. For some reason I thought it was different manufacturers or differt ballast types... ie electric, pulse, etc.

Im inclined to agree because my 150 is the top one and my 250 is the bottom but if you look online they only show generic pictures of HQI bulbs next to the name of the bulb.

I believe Tom is correct. I have used several different brands in both 150 and 250. The 150's were all the same and the 250's were all the same.

Tom is 100% correct, although you can change out 250s and 4oos with just a ballast change and moving the sockets out a little farther 8)

Thanks guys. It makes perfect sense. I had no idea though. I got a 150hqi and when I saw the ends were different I didn't even put that into consideration. I just though different sockets/ballast types had different bulbs. Thans for the answers.