• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY Tank Cover Advice

Hi All,

Looking for advice on a DIY cover for my tank. Planning on eventually getting a pair of fire fish and they are known for jumping out.

I have a hang on back overflow and have looked at solutions like eggcrate and mesh kits sold by bulk reef supply. People are saying that the eggcrate blocks a lot of light and the mesh kits are not great if I have HOB equipment (apparently not easy to cut around). My tank is 4 foot by 12 and is rimmed with a divider in the middle.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Something like the link below works if you cut things to fit nicely around the overflow and sit on the rims.

I made a simple square one for my 34g. Pretty easy as long as you have a little saw to cut the railing. Though I did have to get the netting from Amazon since Joanne's was a hassle at the time due to the virus.

Something like the link below works if you cut things to fit nicely around the overflow and sit on the rims.

I made a simple square one for my 34g. Pretty easy as long as you have a little saw to cut the railing. Though I did have to get the netting from Amazon since Joanne's was a hassle at the time due to the virus.

Awesome, looking into that one.

Whats the dimension of your tank? I often use thin plexiglass from lowes I just cut up. You can score and snap them too making it pretty convenient. If its small enough sometimes you can find smaller pieces of glass and silicone them together making a hinge.

I am a big fan of mesh screen tops. The far majority of gas exchange in your reef, takes place at the surface. A screen as a posed to a solid plexi or glass top does not hinder this exchange and does not trap heat. They are easy to build and readily available.

What I used and my experience. I love the mesh top!

I am a big fan of mesh screen tops. The far majority of gas exchange in your reef, takes place at the surface. A screen as a posed to a solid plexi or glass top does not hinder this exchange and does not trap heat. They are easy to build and readily available.
I'm still pretty new to reef tanks. What about the evaporation rate isnt it significantly more? Or do you just combat that with an ATO

I have noticed a little more evaporation since I made the change. Nothing drastic though in a 75 gal. I don't have an ATO yet, but that is the end game and then you don't need to worry about it at all. For me, I would usually top the sump off in the morning and at night. I've been noticing that another top-off during the day, come mid-afternoon, is usually required.