• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do I need A chiller

Hello all i am putting together my very first reef setup. i got a 140 gallon tank plus a 35 gallon sump. two 175 watt mh lamps. my question is how necessary is having a chiller. i plan on keeping coral and i will be using a neptune aquacontroller 3.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It depends on a lot of factors. The temperature of your house in the summer, your use of dehumidifiers and fans to encourage evaporation, etc. Most people can avoid needing a chiller through the use of fans. 175w lamps aren't as hot as 250s & 400s, so that will help as well. I would venture to guess that you'll do fine without.

I don't run a chiller. I run a 90 gallon bow with a 20 gallon sump, a 75 gallon with a 30 gallon sump, and a 90 standard with a 20 gallon sump. With the central air set to between 75 and 78, I can keep the tank at a pretty steady 80 degrees with no chiller.

Both 90's are running mag 9.5 return pumps, multiple koralia 3 circulation pumps and dual 175 watt MH hoods. (the 75 runs T5's, but still runs a mag return pump and two koralia 3 pumps).

I keep the tanks at 80 degrees (which is a little on the higher side of the recomended temp) so that if it does go up a few degrees, it's not as drastic a rise as if it was kept steadily lower. I've had no ill effects from heat in the tank, but I do keep the surface well agitated and will occassionally run a clip on fan on the sump to help with evap. Evaporation is about 5 gallons per day total in all 3 tanks.

Hope that helps.