• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do I really need to replace my R/O membrane?

Hey guys,

My tank has been dissassembled for the better part of 8 months now. I've recently gotten the bug to set up my 120 again and upon filling a 35 gal container of R/O water, I noticed that it was taking a lot longer to fill than it used to. It took me 4 days to fill the container.

When I called Marine Depot they mentioned that my membrane probably dried out and that I need to replace it (AT A PRICE OF $90). Before I fork over the money, I just wanted to see if there were any other less expensive options before I coughed up the money.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
First off, WELCOME to NJRC!

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question. Before I forked over 90$ for one piece of an RO unit though I'd certainly be looking to FilterDirect (in California, not Canada) on ebay. I bought a new unit from them for only 100$.

Good luck!

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you haven't used the RO for a long time and it was not capped and allowed to dry out, then YES, it has to be replaced. Letting a membrane dry out once it has been hydrated destroys it as it collapses on itself.

So Yes, you have to replace the membrane, but there are lots of them out there a competitive prices. Its really doesn't matter what make the RO/DI unit is, with the exception of the Kent Maxxima Series, all the membranes for all brand units are a standard size. Most use Filmtec and rebrand them.