• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do we have an Acrylic Master?

I'm thinking of tackling a sump for my 210. i've never worked with acrylic and i'm looking for someone that either knows how to work with acrylic, anyone interested in helping me build one or i'd pay someone to build one.

I tried melev, www.melevsreef.com , but i haven't heard back from him. plus i would have to pay for shipping and he seems to be busy with his new podcasts. www.reefcast.com.

Where do you get acrylic around here?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've done a few larger sump projects. It would be a while yet before I'd be able to get to your project if you can wait. LMK.

Rich

I'm very good with my hands and my dad has tons of tools, routers, table saw, band saw...etc. Do you think that i could build one myself? if so where do you get your acrylic around here?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sure, that's the way I learned.........just do it!!!!

Read, read, read. The DIY forum. Do a search on users Acrylicman or Acrylics on RC. Melev has alot of info on his site. Read up on the "pins method" as well. Best method for strong water tight joints.

I get the 1/4" & 1/8" stuff at Home Depot.
I get the Weldon at Tap Plastics.

Plastic shops and Glass shops would be the next stop. I know there is an acrylic supplier in NE Philly near the NE Airport......Northeast Plastics I think. I'm sure there are others in NJ as well.

Feel free to ask questions.

hey, i can help you out. i built about 6 tanks, and a 150 gal sump with acrylic. It was trial and error at first. Then you get good at it. i followed the instructions on http://www.melevsreef.com/ and that worked out great. I buy my acrylic on ebay. mostly 1/4, but i like 3/8 better. I use weldon 3 or 4. Both are very thin. For errors in edges i use weldon 16, syrupy solvent. I also buy sheet acrylic from usplastics. their shipping is the most fair. There is a place in branchburg that sells 8' x 4' sheet for around 100 dollars. tax though. Call some places that work with plastics, ask for offcuts. they resell to scrap dealers for pennies. Hope that helps.