• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do YOU go to the Jersey shore?

I am not originally from the area so the first time I packed up the car and headed to the beach (I still cant call it "the shore" out loud) I was suprised at the rules and regulations.

You had to pay to get on to the beach? You had to wear a little metal tag on your shorts.

Then you werent allowed to go barefoot.

Then you couldnt bring the cooler with you.

No big umbrellas.

No frisbees.

No beach tennis.

No volleyball.

No alcohol.

No food.

When I was growing up a trip to the beach meant a (free) day spent sitting in the sun, drinking, eating (my own food) and boogie boarding in the waves.

In NJ it means a $100 trip. $15 for parking, $5 to get on to the beach, $25 for food, chair rental, umbrella rental.

I still peed in the water, but other than that it was nothing like it should be. :-[

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20070526_ap_dignjbeachesbetterknowtherules.html

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We live close enough to know that going to the beach anytime between mid-May and late September is not a good idea. We'll take the kids there in early spring and early fall but that's about it. We don't get to play in the waves or lay out in the sun, but there's no way I'd try battling those crowds.

As for the rules, they've been that way for a long time, so I guess we're kind of used to them.

try living 2 blocks from the beach and still having to pay for a beach badge! plus, we get to deal with all the traffic and Bennies now!

Your obviously going to the wrong beach, although alcohol is a no no on all beaches if you drink responsibly and discard emptys properly nobody ever says anything about it although you could receive a citation. As for frisbees, volleyball, food, etc.. it's totally allowed down here. :)

my parents house is a block from the delaware bay beach (villas, nj above cape may). we go about 2 miles south to where a restaurant is, it's like the hangout... no tags, no problems, we bring our dog, cooler, umbrellas... people pull up on wave runners, boats. it's real nice. only bad thing. no waves in the bay. lol I say find a different beach.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Can always wait util the life guards are off duty and go. Usually, no hassles from the park rangers; less people and it would be free. I bring my son to Sandy Hook all the time during the summer. After 4:00pm no charge; I leave about 3:45 and get there at the right time and stay for about 2 hours. The beach in town is free but sometimes its dirty.

mott768 said:
You guy's aren't going to the right beaches, only us shore folk know where the fun Free beaches are ;) ;D

Lol... like Cliffwood or Leonardo where you can come out of the water with extra body parts (not always your own!)?

I actually pay to go to the shore during the in-season, but only one and rarely ever anymore. Avon. For the cost, and all the silly rules, it's not too bad. That, and it isn't absolutely INFESTED with bennies like Sleazeside or other beaches. It's still kind of holding true to it's "Irish Riviera" roots, only sans alcohol.

No, what I need to find is a beach that allows fire. Anyone know where I can find one?

kathainbowen said:
Lol... like Cliffwood or Leonardo where you can come out of the water with extra body parts (not always your own!)?

That's not the "shore" there not even beaches, it's either a mud pool or a rock garden ;D any beach where there is no sand and the water is brown is enter at own risk... LOL... there is plenty of beaches from TR south that are free and allow Vball and other fun activities, even beach fires with a permit.

mott768 said:
That's not the "shore" there not even beaches, it's either a mud pool or a rock garden ;D any beach where there is no sand and the water is brown is enter at own risk... LOL... there is plenty of beaches from TR south that are free and allow Vball and other fun activities, even beach fires with a permit.

....... =/

..... and how hard would you say is it to get a permit?

.... are there any with particularly.... lax.... regulations on fires and permits? ;D

permit = $25 rules: must be 25 years of age or more, adult must be presant at all times, pit must be at least 12" deep, 100 feet from any dwellings and tree's, fire can not exceed 5 feet in height, must be fully extinguished before leaving "no embers left smouldering" any and all garbage must be removed. Permits are only available for off peak hours, 7pm - midnight and there were a couple of other things I can't really remember but they weren't anything major just basic fire safety and precautions. There are also local police pratrolling the beach, once we had a nice fire going and they road up on their ATC and just asked us to knock the fire down some, they were nice no big hassles, after midnight they start chasing people off the beach so the trucks and sand rakes can clean the beach, I don't mind paying the fee for the permit cause the guy said it is for keeping the beach clean.

Yeah I read that, you don't want to be lighting any fires on that beach...lol that gives a whole new meaning to the word fireworks! no bombs where I go ;D

mott768 said:
permit = $25 rules: must be 25 years of age or more, adult must be presant at all times, pit must be at least 12" deep, 100 feet from any dwellings and tree's, fire can not exceed 5 feet in height, must be fully extinguished before leaving "no embers left smouldering" any and all garbage must be removed. Permits are only available for off peak hours, 7pm - midnight and there were a couple of other things I can't really remember but they weren't anything major just basic fire safety and precautions. There are also local police pratrolling the beach, once we had a nice fire going and they road up on their ATC and just asked us to knock the fire down some, they were nice no big hassles, after midnight they start chasing people off the beach so the trucks and sand rakes can clean the beach, I don't mind paying the fee for the permit cause the guy said it is for keeping the beach clean.

Off peak is perfect (dark thirty is the best!).

.... where the police generally cool though?

... I also just realized how absolutely scary and devilish I must sound from an outside perspective. I'm looking for a beach where I might be able to get some good fire spinning time.

Subliminal

NJRC Member
My family and I have always gone to Island Beach St. Park.

When my wife and I go, we go somewhere around Belmar.

There ARE a lot of people, but this is New Jersey....there's a lot of people at the grocery store, too. ;)

Not a big beach person here. Let me rephrase that: I'm super fair-skinned and blonde - 10 minutes at the beach with the strongest sun block and I still resemble a tomato. :-[

Now I LOVE to swim in the ocean, but usually we wait to go swimming until the lifeguards have closed shop. ;D Traffic is better then, we can find free parking, and save on beach fees, too.

---
Wendy

Subliminal

NJRC Member
I'm a big fan of the Bordentown ramp, a bit of river, a boat, and a wakeboard.

As a matter of fact...I just walked in the door from our latest excursion. 77 in the deleware is nice this early! ;)