• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Do you keep a heater in your ATO resevior?

Do you? Or do you think it would be a good idea? Bad idea?

My Topoff water is very cold and it only drips. It really doesn't effect the temp of the tank but I was thinking that temp effects Ph as well as other variables in the Saltwater. So i was curious and thought i'd ask.

Good question Mike!

I do not heat my ATO. I use a metering pump from a reservoir and top off thru a Klak mixer. Kalk, actually stays in solution well in cold water. For this reason I don't heat my ATO reservoir. Someone may have a more scientific reason as to why this is true, but I am sure it is. Sorry, but my brain is filled with so much Geochemistry and reef chemistry and I barley got thru any chemistry in school, that I am baffled that I know that much! :p

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
FWIW I heat mine. I don't have it at tank temperature, I keep it @ 75 degrees and have a little pump for circulation.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
sinkingbeach said:
The reason I don't heat mine is to lower the tanks temp even if it's only a minuscule drop.

Same here. My chiller runs a little less every other day when my top off runs.

I don't heat mine mainly to save money on my electric bill since my reservior is in my unheated basement and easily gets down to 50 degrees in the winter.

malulu

NJRC Member
i only heat mine when i need to do big water change.

i have a 55g container for RO/DI water (ATO also from here), and 35g container for new-salt water.

- the night before i do big water change, i add *extra* salt into the 35g
- then next day, i drain out 50g or so from my sump
- then empty out my 35g-salt with "some-15g" fresh RD/DI water (at the same time) in the sump