• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Eggcrate

Actually I found out that it depends on the store. I went to different stores and found that it was in a different section at both stores.

Hey Mike do you think eggcrate would be better for my 50g then that thin piece of plastic I have on it... for heat issues I mean?

I dont know if it makes a differance...but on RC they had a big thread about eggcrate..if you look at it you will see that it is actually in a "V" shape...its very subtle...the arguement was that with the wider part of the "V" up would "focus" the light...flip the piece over and have the narrow part up would diffuse the light. Like I said I dont know if there is any truth to this but I did look at my eggcrate and sure enough there was a differance from one side to another...

Just somthing to think about...

Eric

My thoughts exactly. I'm working with 2-150 HQI and 2-130 Dual Actinics, & I can't afford to block any light. I guess the white would be better than the black in that case.

Erik

yes Erik the white will be better than the black, and i don't think it diffuses that much light, i saw a thread in RC i think about a cover for a tank with something like chicken wire

Gabe

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Egg Crate is really a light diffuser for fluorescent lighting. It's used in drop ceilings. You can cut it to the size of your tank opening very easily. It's a great way to have a "top" on your tank without using glass.

const-pond-2002-filters-materials%20(4).jpg

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The egg crate allows for more evaporation and air/gas exchange at the surface. It's also better for light penetration. You don't have to constantly clean it off like a glass tops.