• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Expanse Season 5 & RODI

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Looks like the Expanse’s budget for ‘Prop - Oxygen generator for plants’ involved $50 and an RO buddy.

A33CFF8B-5E1E-4816-B354-0B0EE11C3CF3.jpeg

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
It never caught me until I read the books last year, which, after the first one, I was an addict.
Only bad thing was I had developed the characters in my head and seeing them on screen was different than I expected, except the guy who plays Amos, he was well beyond my imagination and is fantastic in the roll of 'self-controlled sociopath'. The woman that plays Avasarala is excellent as well and is pretty spot on to the novels.
The series is following the novels nicely, with each season covering a book.

Love the true physics of the show (eg ships need to flip over 1/2 way to destination to slow down, relative speeds in space, ship 'floors' are above the engines/thrust for relative gravity, etc).
Main difference between books/series is the detail. For example, the series opens with Mao in the holding container of the ship, and every few seconds you hear a thump noise. That thump is the sound of the airlock cycling as the raiders are executing prisoners. Overall it's a phenomenal book series and imho is as good as 'The Mote in God's Eye' in regards to a life on ship/in space situation, and they did a great job bringing it to series.

It is well regarded and has won many awards. Good to hear another nerd’s approval. Looking forward to mowing through the seasons this winter.