• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Factors Affecting Calcification

Not that my personal experience has much if any relevance to a real study. But it is interesting to note that my PH for a long time hovered around 7.8 when I started dosing my alk (I try to keep it as close to 9dkh as possible) up from approx 8dkh. My ph moved to 8.3 - 8.5 ever since that change. My coral growth has significantly improved. I also added two power heads in that time. Wich I assume besides preventing some dead or stagnant spots in the tank. May have increased O2 saturation as the surface is much more agitated. Either way. For me. More alk and more water movement appears to have made a significant difference. Of course there are other factors. Like the tank is older and more stable than it was six months ago and perhaps I am a little better with maintaining the system as time goes on and I get better at spotting issues before they are big issues

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Long time ago was told ignore everything else and make sure your calcium and alk are in range. This could be why I have had better luck with more SPS corals.
The current tank has been challenging to maintain calcium. Low compared to Alk and I dose for both; I also dose magnesium. Other problem is evaporation; I go though more top off water for some reason.

horseplay

NJRC Member
Worth noting that in the reef Ph range from 7.8 at night to 8.7 during the day. This is quite a bigger range compare to the Ph of my reef which ranges from 8.0 to 8.25. So natural reef has a much bigger range. Not sure how reliable that data is.

Oxygen level ranges 27% to 241% during the day. I have no idea what that range is for my own reef. I would like to know.