• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

featherduster out of its tube

it came completely out of the tube the crown and the worm part is it dead also there were 2 connected at the bottom can I cut the dead tube off please help John

john -

remove the dead parts. It's possible the worm can re-grow the crown. Are you feeding the duster? they need food to keep that crown.

the worm and crown came out of the tube found it in the sand I feed the tank every other day a mix of all kinds of foods if it is out of the tube can I cut th tube away it is connected to another featherduster thanks John

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Once the worm gets out of its tube it is pretty much over. Losing the crown is not a big deal, but losing the worm is. If it is connected to other feather dusters, you probably should remove it.

bovsbaitboxes said:
the worm and crown came out of the tube found it in the sand I feed the tank every other day a mix of all kinds of foods if it is out of the tube can I cut th tube away it is connected to another featherduster thanks John

what does "all kinds of food" mean? Are you dosing live phyto?

here is what I feed my tank
kent chromaplex
mysis shrimp frozen
brine shrimp frozen
cyclops frozen
h2o coral food mix
and then dose Iodne calcium vit c essential elements
should I cut the one tube off it is connected to another featherduster thanks John

frozen brine shrimp. too big for feather dusters and no nutrion.
mysis shrimp - too big for feather duster
cylops frozen - this is nutritionous baby brine shrimp, but still too big
h20 coral food - this is just a food additive.

So - i have no exp with Kent chromaplex. Were you dosing this daily? were you targeting the feather? Does this need to be refrigerated? Basically I would encourage (if you want to go down the path of keeping filter feeders) - to buy live phytoplankton.

I did try and save one that jumped out of its tube, made a new tube out of a straw, worked for 3 days, then, gone. you can try. The old tube should not be a concern, best not to mess with the one thats still alive.
gregH