• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding anenomes - Not taking dried shrimp

What does everyone feed their RBTAs? I adopted one a couple weeks ago and was told he was eating whole dried shrimp, but he only takes it for a few minutes and then releases it.

I don't feel like buying things like silversides if i doesn't take them
Thx

i feed mine silversides but not accepting food isnt usually a good sign. how old is your tank and what are your params, lights and flow?

Thanks guys. My system is about 18 mos. old. My flow is mostly moderate. I use 210 watts of T5s on a 75g. My params would ok last time I checked. 8.1ph, 400Ca, 8.5alk, .05phos., undetectale nitrates

I will try silversides next. I was releived to see he took a small peice of shrimp (fr. Rod's food)from the clown and gobbled it up. It was pretty cool in that I could have sworn the tiny clown swam down with it to serve it up. He swam away content to look for more food.

Sometimes they're just not hungry. Don't force it. I have several nems and some like to be fed all the time while others don't want food at all (or on rare occasions).

I heard dried shrimp/krill wasn't good for them - air inside, etc. I feed mine pieces of clam, silver sides, frozen krill ...

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
un needed added food leads to diminished water quality over time, cause the more they eat the more they excrete. ;)
My 5 clowns keep my nems. well fed,if I want to see them eat I'll watch sandees vid. ;)

I do not target feed mine any more. It's been 3+ years since I did and I find the nems overall health and apearance is better this way.

Except for an occasional, very very light, blast of mysids or large plankton (2-3 very small pieces) from the turkey baster during a regular feeding for my own amusment. The tentecles will snatch the food pieces and pass them to the mouth, very cool!

My clowns will sometimes drag a large chunk of squid that maight make it into the feeding to the nem but it's rare, very cool but rare.

Anyway, leave it alone for about two to three weeks Bob and try again if you like, but feed very limited portions if you must.

I got mine fully open it was like 3 inches wide.. I feed it frozen baby scallops you get at any food store in the fish section 2-3 times a week (thawed out of course). I chop them up and feed it to my RBTA. It eats it right up and seems to love them. Its now around 7 inches across in about 6 weeks.

I will probably stop the feedings when it gets a few more inches.

I have fed, not fed, occasionally fed my LTA over long periods of time in the 10 years that I have had it.

Currently I am feeding it the most aggressively that I have ever done. 2 silversides 4-6 times a week.

It has done well under all conditions, but it is looking better than ever with the heavy feeding.

Just my humble opinion, but if you are managing your water quality by reducing feedings, your bioload is too high for the ecosystem you have created.

Either reduce the load or increase your filtration capacity and water change frequency. Don't make the livestock go hungry. ;)

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
The nems I had didn't like the dried krill right of the container. I had to soak it in water first then the nem would eat it. I guess it didn't like the texture, who knows.

Thanks all. Very helpful! It is <bleeping> cool to watch them eat. If I do feed it at all, it will very sparingly with mysis or small krill as I wouldn't want to grow in spurts. Overall, I do have a very light load of nutrient sources, but I was thinking about getting some BIGGER fish soon.

It turns out my skimmer pump just went so, I will need to keep the load light until I get this skimmer going.

And, on a related note ... here's my 'nem only tank. :) Well, except for the plate - will move that soon.

cam_5.jpg