• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding Corals

Yes, so I am new to corals. I have been trying to target feed certain corals. (doubnut, torch, elegance, brain) and I am not sure if they are actually eating it or not. How do I know if they are eating it or will I? I put the food right on their mouths but I don't see them take it in. Should I?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you turn the flow off and watch long enough you'll see most LPS (brain, lobo, plate, candy cane, blastos, etc) eat. I don't know that you'd be able to watch a frogspawn or elegance actually take in food.

What's a Doubnut?

Sorry, I meant to say Doughnut coral. They all have mouths but when I see the mouth open I try and get food in there but the mouth will close fast before I can acutally get something to them.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Scolymia? You should see that eat. But don't try to put food in the mouth. Put the food on the coral and then it should move the food into the mouth as long as it is not in any flow.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think krill is too big unless you've got it chopped up pretty good.

Hey Sam,

You are welcome to stop by for a demonstration.

I feed my cyanaria, bubble and plate whole or half pieces of krill.

I chop it smaller for the frogs and hammers and feed that as well as the mysis.

The krill chunks I place on the feeders. The mysis is sprayed with a turkey baster.

Same technique will work for Merv's recipe and others as well.

Bill

Thanks for the offer Bill. If I don't see them start to actually take the food in I will definatly stop by to see how you do it.

try using a plastic soda bottle cut it in half place over coral you want to feed. i use a syringe with a tube put a hole in the cap works good