• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Feeding Harlequin a Chocolate chip is eat mean ???

So my wife and kids feel it's horrible that I let the Shrimp eat at the starfish, and they made me feel a bit guilty. So do you think they feel it ? Anyone who has a Halequin, what do you do. I've heard about freezing the star and feeding bits at a time, or breaking off a piece at a time from two different stars to allow the other star grow back. Geez if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have even given this second thought.

Thanks
Rich K

i have a pair to get rid of my asternias, but when they're done i plan on passing them along, i don't want to feed them the cc stars myself, but don't pass judgement on others... the thought of me putting something in my tank to be eaten alive very slowly by something else seems kinda mean, but that's just me, freezing it first seems a little more humane, but shrimps aren't human are they?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Roy,
Did you really write that last post!!! The guy that feeds baby mice to snakes says it mean to feed CC to a shrimp. Geeeez

LOL thats funny !!!! When i used to feed my snake I bought Mice On Ice, frozen little pinkies.

I bought my Harlequin for the same reason, but if you mean pass it on like for free, heck that thing cost me $32 I'd have to sell him.

MAVL666 said:
Roy,
Did you really write that last post!!! The guy that feeds baby mice to snakes says it mean to feed CC to a shrimp. Geeeez

When I did lab tests with mice and rats - we were breeding dozens of them in a short period of time. A single female could be used 2,3 times a year to get a litter. It was easy and it's no wonder rats are used all over the world for testing.

I don't think you can compare rats with starfish. Unless you're aware of people across the US making chocolate chip stars...and not the Pillsbury kind ;)

diverkk - my wife/family feels the same way yours does. We were at TFP and they had like 20 harlequins and ONE poor starfish (what was left of it) was in there for them. Since then she has stated it is out of the question.

i say its no different than fragging corals, do you think that they felt it? how about anemone's? your doing nothing different than would happen in the wild. the only "role" you are playing is providing something that they would have had to hunt on their own.

ds4x4 said:
i say its no different than fragging corals, do you think that they felt it? how about anemone's? your doing nothing different than would happen in the wild. the only "role" you are playing is providing something that they would have had to hunt on their own.

Ahhhh you made a very convincing statement there ! Plus if I were to be a real softy I wouldn't go fishing anymore

ds4x4 said:

I have to agree with ya on this one.