• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Finnex heaters

Anyone ever use these?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...ct_Code=FI-HC-TH0300&Category_Code=Finnexheat

I'm having a heck of a time stabilizing the temp in my tank as of late. Temp swings from 79 to 82 over the course of the day. I even went so far as to put two different digital thermometers in the tank, and one side reads 81.2 the other side reads 80.3. They are only 48" apart! UGG!

I need something a little more stable that will also be able to handle my 120 when I get it up and running.

I got rid of the stealth heater because I couldn't get that stabilized, and now I am using a Hydor Theo heater, and that isn't doing any better. I've always had great luck with both, but not this time.

I'm running a nova extreme 4x54 watt HO T5 fixture with a fan in it, and the top of the tank is open.

Strange thing is, the temp will read 81.5, and the stoopid heater will kick on, but sometimes when the temp reads 79.8, it doesn't kick on.

Plus, I'm getting two different temperatures at opposite ends of the tank.

I also keep the room temp at 70 degrees.

Could be the lights, but they don't seem to get too hot.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Where do you have the temperature probe in relation to the heater itself?

If you are facing the tank, the heater is in the far right back corner. The tunze 6045 sits on the right wall, and the first probe is in the front right corner, about half way down.

The second probe is on the left back corner. My hydor koralia sits about half way up and half way fron to back on the left wall.

Maybe I should try moving one of the probes to mid tank back wall?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would move the probes away from the heater, as far as possible in an area of good water movement. If the heater kicks on and it's near the probe it will shut off prematurely because the probe will think that the tank has reached the designated temperature.

ReefDrumz said:
I would move the probes away from the heater, as far as possible in an area of good water movement. If the heater kicks on and it's near the probe it will shut off prematurely because the probe will think that the tank has reached the designated temperature.

I'm not actually using a controller at the moment. Just a heater and a seperate digital thermometer.

sinkingbeach said:
I just purchased the Aqua Medic Biotherm Temp controller and 500 watt heating element http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=668 So far it seems well worth the price.

As far as temp swings, I needed to add a fan to my cabinet to cool off the water due to the halides heating it up during the day.

Thanks, I'll check that one out. Is 500 watt overkill for 120 gallon? I know it's overkill for a 55. :D

Don't trust the digital thermometers, I was getting high readings on mine, I changed the heater with one I new was good and got the same thing, I used a regular glass thermometer and it read 3 degree's lower than my digital. I put a temp controller on the heater and both the temp controller and glass thermometer read the same temp 79 but the digital one reads 82.6 so now I do not trust digital thermometers.

Hmm... Guess I should have thought to test with a glass thermometer. Sometimes it's the simplest things you don't think about. I'll check that out tomorrow.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That picture that you have of the heater has a probe on it, are you not using that model of heater? I didn't think you were using a controller other than the one that comes with the heater. I agree with Tom, Digital thermometers are crap.

ReefDrumz said:
That picture that you have of the heater has a probe on it, are you not using that model of heater? I didn't think you were using a controller other than the one that comes with the heater. I agree with Tom, Digital thermometers are crap.

My fault for the confusion. I am using a Hydor heater right now with two digital thermometers. I was looking to see if anyone had used the finnex to see if it was worth checking in to because it had the controler and the price was pretty decent.

At any rate, I picked up a glass thermometer today, and the temp is reading dead on with both digitals. Right now I am reading 80.2 on the left side, and 80.8 on the right side (where the heater is), which is probably close to what it should be. I don't know why one side of the tank will suddenly swing and the other doesn't. And like I said, the oddest thing is, the temp will rise to damn near 82 degrees and the heater will kick on, but other times, the temp will read as low as 79, and the stupid thing won't kick on. grrr...

I'm open to additional suggestions on temp controllers at this point. I'm going to need bigger heaters when the 120 finally comes together, so I might as well start looking now.

sinkingbeach said:
I am just happy today as I was yesterday with my heater and controller 8)

Hehe... Yeah, I'm looking at that one. Looks like a decent price.

But, as I asked before, do you think 500 watts is ok for 120 gallon either way? Not sure how big the sump is going to be, but at the minimum it will end up being a 30 gallon long (if not bigger).

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
D'oh! It's my fault for not reading the part of your thread that clearly says "I am using a Hydor Theo Heater" Sorry about that!

Now that I know what we are talking about...(finally!) :)

I think you would be better off getting 2 - 250 watt heaters, instead of a single 500w. It's always good to have two in case one of them fails.

ReefDrumz said:
D'oh! It's my fault for not reading the part of your thread that clearly says "I am using a Hydor Theo Heater" Sorry about that!
No worries, I'm a charter member of the "reading is fundamental" club! ;D

ReefDrumz said:
I think you would be better off getting 2 - 250 watt heaters, instead of a single 500w. It's always good to have two in case one of them fails.

I would tend to agree, is there a controller out there that will handle two heaters?

Or should each be on its own controller?

sinkingbeach said:
I am just as happy today as I was yesterday with my heater and controller 8)

BTW, Francis, I found it over here: http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/brandcategory.asp?brandID=AM&catID=he

Cheaper! And only $11 to ship. Anyone ever use this place before?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've shopped there. I haven't in a long time, but I didn't have any problems with them.