• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

fire shrimp molting

is it normal for a fire shrimp to partially molt ?

Reason I ask is I saw a tail molt from our fire shrimp around 2 weeks ago and thought hey cool he molted again , this would his second molt since we have him in a little under 4 months . Fast forward to 2 days ago we noticed he was missing lately and started investigating. We found what we thought were the remains of him , with that being the claw and arm sections only vsable , so we chalked it up to our flame hawk maybe got hungry and munched him and said our good byes lol.

Well today he magically reappeared happy as ever . so it seems he only half molted and then finished up later ? i don't think its possible that the remains didn't get worked over for by the cleanup crew in that time .

weird , but happy hes still with us . what do you think happened ?

I have a freshwater cherry shrimp colony in a 29G tank where I have seen a couple times a shrimp appear to molt only a part of the body and hang on to the other part for a day or two before full molting. I always assumed it was in the process of molting and was disturbed and forced to try to swim away. The old shell broke and it got stuck in what was left (both times the abdomen half) until it managed out or it broke down enough to fall off.

So maybe a similar thing occured with your hawk finding it while it was partially molted.