• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fire!!!!

momof6kids

NJRC Member
So, I took Doug to the train this morning like I always do. Everything was fine when I left, except I did notice a "skunky" kind of smell. I didn't think too much of it, since we were running a little late and had a train to catch. I dropped Doug off and had just pulled out of the train station when my cell phone rang. My 15 year old daughter wanted to know if I would be home soon because my "tank" was on fire. My 7 year old noticed a yellow glow behind the tank and opened the cabinet door, saw the flames and woke up her sister. The GFI outlet strip was spewing out flames. I had 3 maxijets, a heater and my pump plugged into it. The plug for the pump is fried, as is the outlet on the strip that it was plugged into. Do you think I could replace the plug on the pump or do you think it is shot? What might have caused this? All of the other plugs (the maxijets and the heater) seem fine.

Erna, who is very thankful that Susie saw the fire, had the sense to wake up Brienne, who knew what to do.

Sorry to her that Mom, thank God everyone one is safe and it wasn't that bad. A friend of mine had that happen to him it turned out water from his tank ran down one of the wires and straight into the plug which is what caused his fire. I would just buy a new pump and GFI, better to be safe than sorry.

C

concept3

agreed with the replacement of the pump. Did you have a drip loop on all your wires? Condensation or water dripping on the outlet MAY have caused that, make sure you have one on ALL your outlets, I have one on everything myself.

I believe MJ1200's pull 20 watts each, and your pump and heater another couple a hundred watts, you may want to hook up to another outlet.

Glad to hear everyone and everything is OK.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whoa! :eek:

That is really scary!

Good thing that your kids have a good head on thier shoulders and didn't lose thier cool in an emergency. I'm glad to hear everything/everyone is ok.

I would definitely replace the pump...why take the chance that something could happen again.