• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Firefish?!

Have NO idea where he is, I just feed them to see if he'd maybe pop out and there is absolutely no sign of him. I really would like my Nitrates NOT to spike because of a dead fish!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't worry too much just yet. I've had firefish hide for WEEKS and then suddenly pop out of the rock. They are pretty notorious for that.

Wouldn't even come out for food though. I have a lot of openings in the rock so he must've picked a reallyyy good hiding spot because I can't find him at all.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm sure a water change wouldn't affect him at all. Like I said, weeks went by without me seeing the firefish regardless if I was feeding or not...sometimes they just like to hide...why? Who knows!

one important question, is this an open top tank? They are jumpers... he could have easily jumped out, from time to time I see/hear mine hit the top of my aquapod hood for no apparent reason. If its sealed and you're sure he didn't jump out (they can flop a ways, and pets can eat them) then give him some time, if you have a sump or rear chamber check there too.

I've gone through that after it was first introduced - weeks went by and I was sure it was dead only to have it pop up fat and healthy one day. A powerhead is blowing at the base of the rocks so food must have been getting into its hiding spots (that or pods?). When it popped out I noticed my Coral Beauty was picking on it here and there but now they get along much better and the purple firefish comes out every day to eat and hangs around in the open more.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Mine jumped out about 4 feet away from the tank. Didn't know until I stepped on it. I have a cover now but don't keep them although they are nice fish.

MAVL666 said:
Mine jumped out about 4 feet away from the tank. Didn't know until I stepped on it. I have a cover now but don't keep them although they are nice fish.

Hah. Similar thing happened to me ages ago. Stepping on a fish with bare feet is pretty gross.

i picked up a large one from AqOb a month ago and it has a little nook it sleeps in and is out everyday begging for food. My tank is open top and I've not had any issues. Still fish have a mind of their own and mine may still decide to jump. It's a risk I take.

Maybe being the biggest fish in a 120 has something to do with it... ;D

case in point, I realized last night I hadn't seen one of mine all day... by 3pm today I was feeding Rod's Reef (which no fish misses out on) and still no sign.... so I got out the flashlight and sure enough she was in the rear of my aquapod. Eventually after trying to squeeze a net and my hand in there she jumped back into the main tank, about 1/2" from a floor dive.