• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Flow rate for Ca reactor and CO2 regulator

I am thinking of making a Ca reactor for my 75 gal tank that should support the aggressive growth of SPS, so I would like to hear your practical recommendations and experiences about how much flow of water there should be through the media (media/flow reaction time), the amount of media, and amount (bubble count) of CO2. I am also looking for recommendations about CO2 regulator valve. The system is in the area (basement) that is not so well ventilated so I need a very reliable regulator.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There's so much that goes into tuning your Ca reactor for your system (Your system's demand, the size of the reactor, two chambers or one... ) that I'm afraid there isn't an "easy answer" to your question. Here's a link to an arcicle that helped us quite a bit:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

We use an ACII to control the setup (PH monitor of effluent used to turn the CO2 soloniod off/on). Good needle wheels are critical. Milwalkee makes a very reputable guage/solonoid setup that a lot of people use.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I bought the GenX Co2 gauge and needle valve. The only input I can give is don't buy that brand, the needle valve is terrible!

I too use my Aquacontroller to control my reactor. For my tank I have my bubble count as one per second (or thereabout) and the flow meter is set to 3ml for the effluent.