• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fluke Regs 2007

Word has it that they want to close the fluke season outright for a year and give them a chance to rebound.

As always, bang the recreational guy, because we are the easy target. The poor, poor commercial fisherman that drags the bottom, brings up a ton of fish but has to throw most back beacuse its not what he is allowed to catch.

So question is, when do saltwater fishing licenses come into play? My guess, within the next two years.

C

concept3

debfife said:
The better question is when are we having a reef club fluke trip?

I've always wanted to do a fluke or fishin' trip with a bunch of friends. I think if we get enough people interested, we may be able to charter a Saturday or Sunday trip. I know captains will accomodate a charter if enough people and money is brought forward to cover the fare. Maybe something we can look into for the spring striper run, before the summer folk come down!

17 will be tough, inshore you may have to catch and release 50+ to get a keeper.
Most at 17 will be caught towards the end of the season, as they grow on the summer feed.

17" is a nice size fluke,

not to many are caught at that size inland. I usually go fluking on charters
but I end up throwing a lot back because they have these strange limits. One ridge short of the requirement, and the mate throws it back over the sides. Boy that makes ya mad, especially when the catching isn't good.

As for Saltwater licenses, that very well may be the case soon. Better hope they don't start taxing it like they do real estate.

Also, I would be down for a charter, have done several for a youth group I used to have. Let me know if I can help concept.

edwin - revclyburn

concept3.875 said:
debfife said:
The better question is when are we having a reef club fluke trip?

I've always wanted to do a fluke or fishin' trip with a bunch of friends. I think if we get enough people interested, we may be able to charter a Saturday or Sunday trip. I know captains will accomodate a charter if enough people and money is brought forward to cover the fare. Maybe something we can look into for the spring striper run, before the summer folk come down!

Cool Idea!

Vessel Capt.Cal out of Shark is one of the best at Flukin.
The Tackle store The Reel Seat in brielle is prob the best experts at gearing up for large fluke.

Ocean Explorer out of Belmar is a nice boat. Bobby is an excellent captain, really nice guy too.

I go every other Friday in the summer, either on the Ocean Explorer or on the Mohawk with Chris. Chris mentioned he might get a bigger boat for this season. If he didn't I wouldn't recommend his boat to anyone that tends to feel a little seasick.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Last year Doug caught over 20 and only got to keep 2.

He is excited this year because our son just bought an 18' used boat that they can have lots of father/son time with. Should be fun. How many calls will we get saying the boat broke down again? ;D

Boat = a hole in the ocean you dump money into!

I'm up for a trip! I do more then a couple a year anyway. plus i have a small back bay boat for crabbing.

as far as flounder regs and such... people forget that baby flouder are one of the tops on a STRIPERS menu. so when they're in the back bays and inlets, it's chow time and we lose many flounder!

Jersey fishing is getting tougher and tougher. Have gone out of Rhode Island on a charter fishing and have to say, you get really spoiled.

Sea bass that are 12"+, porgies that are 3 lbs average, and out of Massachusetts where the cod are in the 20 to 60 lb range and haddock and pollack run wild.

I remember the days of Jersey fishing when whiting fishing was actually a trip wothwhile.