• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fragging Anemones

Anyone here have personal experience in physically fragging an anemone? I have a sebae that is growing way too big and is a good candidate to be fragged. I've seen a lot of videos on how to do this but I wanted to get some feedback from those who have done it themselves.

Id be too scared to do that.

You need pristine water conditions and the right tools. A women on RC fragged her magnifica anemone. Now she has three.

There is a whole post on RC about fragging her magnifica and the tools she uses in the anemone and clownfish forum

I've read a lot about it and really was going to do it to this sebae the other day but he really dug himself into the rock. He's in a 20G by himself right now hoping he'll move. Like I said, I've seen the videos, read a lot (especially Anthony Calfo's stuff) but still a bit nervous about doing it. I've seen people use scissors, scalpels, dremels, etc. I think if I were to do it, it would be with a filet knife. I just wanted some reassurance I guess from someone here that has done it. Anyone else with experience doing this? If I get confidence up, I might investigate getting a carpet knowing I could trim him back if he grew too large.

just try to have something that is going to cut not tear the skin of the Nem i could never imagine using a dremel... what the heck are people thinking

calaxa said:
If I get confidence up, I might investigate getting a carpet knowing I could trim him back if he grew too large.
I heard people fragging their BTAs with success, and other anemones that are know to split, but not carpets. There was on guy on RC who attempted this on his H. Magnifica, I think it was? Long story short, one half died and also his tank crashed from the nasties released into the tank. Not good.

I've heard of people doing a large (at least 50%) water change and its induced a split. They feed the anenome very heavily for a couple weeks before hand though.