• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fragging Blastomussa Wellsi

I have a nice blastomussa wellsi piece that needs to be fragged. The coral is on a plug, is round and about the size of a quater. It has three big mouths that are bright green inside and the outer tissue is purple. The problem that I am having is in between each large head I have atleast 3 - 5 baby mouths growing. When the coral tries to open up they all are fighting to do get the light and all I can see is the outer purple flesh and hardly any of the inside neon green. Is there a way that I can cut the baby heads inbetween the large heads and glue them onto some live rock? I have never fragged before but have seen it done. I think that if I had some small "snips" or something I can precisely cut out the babies and superglue them to rocks. Has anyone ever done this???

Thanks for you feedback - Jon

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They'll grow and fight their way to the light. No need to disrupt the colony growth by plucking them out. As the babies mature their "stems" grow to meet the others. If you are interested in fragging it, just pluck off the outter head or two and whatever comes with it.