• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fragging Duncans?

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Have a question hopefully someone can answer.
I have a few duncan colonies that have so many baby polyps under the adults that the adult polyps can hardly open.So my question is can I cut off and mount the baby polyps since they don't have a hard base yet or do I have to wait for the base to develop on them before I frag them off?
Any help would be great.
Thanks

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jim

I seen Will from AO frag several Duncan colonies and he would'nt frag any heads unless it had a good piece of base. Will I know you reading this chime in.

Bob

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They must have a good base in order to frag them. Cutting just the polyps will most likely end in their demise.

if the baby heads are under the main polyps its a good chance that they will be light starved as the parent grows. very similiar to frgspawn when fragging. you can get a small craft chisel set from a hobby shop and carefully chisel under the polyp taking some of the branch with the baby. once removed mount the rock and the baby should be fine.

tangdude said:
if the baby heads are under the main polyps its a good chance that they will be light starved as the parent grows. very similiar to frgspawn when fragging. you can get a small craft chisel set from a hobby shop and carefully chisel under the polyp taking some of the branch with the baby. once removed mount the rock and the baby should be fine.

I thought duncans were pretty light independent and really relied on food in the water?

jonathan. said:
tangdude said:

I thought duncans were pretty light independent and really relied on food in the water?

duncans are not like sun corals. they will do well in light alone but will realy grow if you feed them.

tangdude said:
jonathan. said:
tangdude said:

duncans are not like sun corals. they will do well in light alone but will realy grow if you feed them.

I've noticed tremendous, tremendous growth with feeding as well. A bunch of little baby heads popping out and growing.