• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

free: hitchhiker gorilla (?) crab middletown 07748

i don't think he is reef safe (just a hunch), thus me taking him out, he's the size of a what would be a huge emerald crab, dark brown/black, bumpy shell and hairy... would be cool in a fish only tank, or a reef if you want to risk it... i have had no corals nibbled on, or missing, but since i caught him, i don't want to chance it and re-release him into my tank. free to good home, i'd prefer to not have to kill the poor little guy. i'm in middletown 07748.

Not reef safe

GORILLA AND STONE CRABS

You want to keep a lookout for Gorilla Crabs (xanthid species) and Stone Crabs. These pesky buggers are predators that can cause damage to your reef, eating anemones, clams, and anything else they can get their claws around. They might look cute when they're small, but it's just not worth putting them into the tank. If you really want to keep them, you could put them into your sump/fuge (if you have one).

The sure-fire way to spot one of these is to look for the black tips on their claws. As Gorilla crabs get larger, they become quite "hairy" all over. You can smash these guys pretty easily using a chopstick. Take a look at the catalog of organisms for pictures of other "good crabs" that may hitchhike on your rock.*

thanks for confirming my suspicions greybolt. he does have black tips on his claws. but i don't want to kill it... like you said though, he'd be cool in a fuge, or a fish only system. i have neither.