• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gaskets

Does anyone know where i can get gaskets for 1" bulkhead fittings. Im trying to find someplace local before im forced to order them online. I live in Union, N.J.(central) Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Eugene

P.S NP John

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Oooops!

What I was trying to say was that I'm not sure where to buy them. If you're in a bind though, I have a sheet of gasket material that I can use make some if you want. I'm in Jackson.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
it might be easier to just go buy a new bulk head. im sure they are only a few bucks. I think Aquatic Obsessions in Woodbridge has them.

Last time I was in All Aquatics, they had a bin full of bulkheads and other plumbing parts, and I believe I saw the gaskets as well. If you do not mind driving to 3048 S. Broad St, Hamilton .

If it's not an emergency, you can also run a bead of aquarium grade silicone rubber around the bulkhead, and then seat it and use the threaded nut to hold it in place. It will take a week plus to harden all the way through but the seal will then be solid.

DaveK said:
If it's not an emergency, you can also run a bead of aquarium grade silicone rubber around the bulkhead, and then seat it and use the threaded nut to hold it in place. It will take a week plus to harden all the way through but the seal will then be solid.

Why a week? Isn't it supposed to fully cure in 24h?

If you have a joint like an aquarium edge, silicone will cure in only 24 hours.

However, when you are using it to form a gasket you have a much greater depth of silicone to cure. That's why it's best to wait a week. Although you might get away with waiting only a day or two, a week is a lot safer.

If you are wrong and water forces it's way out, you'll have to drain out all the water, and re silicone the bulkhead.

I use aquarium sealant on any threaded fitting (external pumps, skimmers) and turn immediately and have never had a drop leak.
Ken