• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Getting an ACJR, have questions

C

concept3

Thanks for helping out on my topoff question guys.

I'm gonna get one, but I have a few questions.

1. I know I can use it to control my lights when the temp goes above a set point, lets say 84. Can I add a first set point so a sump fan can turn on at 82 first? DO I need to get a temp probe or does it come with it?

2. Can I control the retrurn pump so I can simply press a feed button and I can set a preset time for it to turn back on?

3. Can I set the two solenoids I was thinking of using for my Topoff water simultaneously in the powerstrip thingy? Does it come with the Powerstrip thingy? I DO NOT want to go wireless, I have no need to.

4. Can I have the CO2 tank hooked up to it (I know I can), what I meant was, does it come with the pH probe? SHould I get a crap load of calibrating solutions since this buy is awesome!?!. WHould I get an extra probe, as I heard they go bad eventually

Appreciate all the input guys, please post ASAP since the buy ends in 3 days! Any other recommendations for me to get to make my life easier?

The main thing I wanna do is:
Do a Topoff failsafe with the 2 solenoids and float switch
Control CO2 tank
Have it turn on a sump fan when the temp hits 80
Set up my halides to turn off at a higher setpoint than 80, let's say 84
DO a feed mode with the pump-

I tried reading some specs but got dizzy after a while :) so I went to the gym LOL

Thanks again

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The PH probe is an option, it comes with a temp probe.

I don't know about the 2 solenoids, only because I am not familiar with them. But I would think you could hook those up.

You can set fans to come on or off at certain temps, lights to go off if temp gets too high, set the return pump to shut off for a designated period of time for a feed cycle. I think PA has the package deal w/the DC-8 and Serial Port Connector.

I have my ACJr. controlling:

3 250w MH
2 160w VHO
2 Moonlights
3 - 250w heaters
Auto Top Off
Calcium Reactor
4 Fans (2 are on when the MH's come on, 2 come on when the tank reaches a certain temp)

HTH

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Merv,

We have our heaters going on anything between 60 and 79.5. Any temp less than 60 is because our temp probe came unplugged (drops the temp reading down to 18 degrees), and the heaters go off. Our fans turn on at 80. We could also have it turn lights off too, but right now it isn't doing that since the lights are upstairs and the AC is downstairs.

You'll need the DC8 so make sure to get a package that includes it (way cheaper at the package price than individually).

Make sure you count your functions and make sure that you'll have enough capability with the Jr before you put it in your cart.

C

concept3

WOW it adds up!

So what I need then is:

1.  Aquacontroller JR..............$149.95
2.  pH probe (lab)..................$49.95
3.  DC-8 strip thingy..............$75.00

now what if I want to hook this baby up to my computer which is in the bedroom for fun?!?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can make your own serial cable for long runs...I had to get a USB converter because I hook mine up to my laptop, so that gave me an extension, but I only have a 10' run from ACjr to the laptop. (just make sure you get the serial connector upgrade!)

C

concept3

what is the aquanotes option? is that the software you need, or does it come with one?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It doesn't come with software, but there are cheaper alternatives. Andy uses one, I just don't remember which one it is. We use ours without software, but the software Andy uses (and I'm sure Aquanotes) is cool.

C

concept3

what's aquanotes though?  is it only for the AC3 not the junior?  Do you guys think I'm nuts if I went w/ the AC3, maybe that's overkill for what I really need it for?

Okay- scratch that. I just saw the AC3 would be $702!!!!!

I have a wedding to pay for!

AC JR it is

C

concept3

ack. more money. oh well. I have Sony Rewards ppoints saved up. I just gotta sell more Sony TV's!

speaking of ordering, I just ordered the 2 solenoid switched from autotopoff.com $75 !!!!!!!!!!!

If I wasn't so busy typing all the group buy stuff I would have answered as well! ;D

Yes, get calibration fluid, mine was off and needed to be calibrated out of the box. Keep some around just in case you hit the initialize memory button by mistake, like I did! ;)

Make sure if you put multiple items on a power trip that you do not exceed 6 amps on one of the DC8 ports.