• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Glass anemones

I have a tank loaded with Aiptasia (glass anemone), lost a few corals to it already. Its getting out of hand. I have a new larger tank setup and ready to go but, I dont want to move anything over till Im sure they wont come over with the their coral hosts. I can see a few tiny ones clinging to the corals and bases.

Anyone have tips to get rid of them before I move everything over I have the corals sitting in a QT tank right now. Thanks! all

-Henry

Well.....

Kalkwasser made into a paste and injected on them will work.....Some people use boiling hot water in a syringe. Just don't kill to many at a time if you are using kalk paste.

I have a couple in my tank and just saw another on a coral I picked up at Macna. So you are not the only one with them.

Thanks for the tips..

If I see one in a store it makes me not want to shop there anymore. In fact thats where I got them from, it was in one of the sponsors here chaeto. I went back to the store and saw it there a week later after I purchased it. Went home and threw the chaeto away and saw a few small ones in my fudge Emptyed it and filled it with bleach and water, let it sit overnight rinsed it out, a week later I noticed one in my main tank and have been fighting them ever since. I dont go back to that fish store anymore by the way. Its one thing to get them at home, the tank is loaded with rocks and things for them to hide. A LFS has no excuse with bare tanks not to be on them all the time till they are eradicated.

try some Pep shrimp. one that i had seen on a piece of rock i missed is no longer there.. now if someting would only eat the majonoes

I have had great success with Aiptasia X, and you can kill as many as you can find at once, since it will not impact your parameters.

i have used joes juice. you put it directly on the aiptasia and it kills it instantly. it is the best stuff ever

http://www.joesjuice.com/demos.php

it is very inexpensive too. i have tried some creatures in the past, and they got stung be the aiptasia, and they wouldnt go near it again. i bought this stuff, and withing 15 minutes, i cleared out 5 or 6 of them and they were gone for good

I've used Joe's Juice as well (per a recommendation from someone else on this site). It worked well and didn't see aptasia for months, but a couple did pop up later (months later).

Thanks everyone. I tried to fight the good fight and spent hours cleaning each one by hand with a needle, scapel and a pick, took about 3 hours to do 20 corals and I transfered them to the new tank. Well I looked from a odd angle at my large brain coral and I could see a tiny one coming out of the nooks from its under skeleton so it looks like I most likly missed a alot. I will try the joes juice in the future when they are big enough to mess with. Aiptasia X I tried twice so far with mixxed results, some died and some did not. I will also try the pepermint shrimp maybe I will have some luck, also may get a Copperbanded butterfly. Anyone have one they dont want that eats them? I would love to buy it from you!

-Henry

you have to be really careful when doing it that way. if any piece of one was left in the tank, it can spread even worse...unless you took the rock out and washed it off when you were done. it can spread with a tiny piece falling into the tank while you were pulling it off

when i first got mine, before learning about joes juice, i did it by pulling it out, and i made it worse. joes juice was the way to go for me.

i just happened to get a box in today for my new tank

there is no mention of expiration on the box, bottle or directions

Okay, here's another crazy way to get rid of Aptasia. A buddy of mine told me about it, and it does work... If the aptasia is on live rock with no coral around it, take a blow torch (yes, a propane blow torch) and just torch the sucker. It kills everything within an inch diameter around the spot, but it does kill the aptasia. Of course, it won't help with the ones around your brain coral, but to youpey's point, if you don't get the entire thing completely, it will come back. And trust me, the torch will kill the entire thing. Just make sure you rinse the burnt residue well with tank/saltwater.

Yea, I know, it's crazy.

If it gets rid of them, then it doesnt sound crazy to me!

All my live rock is sitting outside in a bin now I will leave it there for a week then clean it off and start over. I bought 3 peppermint shrimps, seems they ran over to the brain coral and ate the Aiptasia off within 30 min of releaseing them. Since there isnt much for them to hide in the tank, they just hide under and behind the corals and end up right where they are needed by default. I may just leave the tank bare for a month and watch and wait.

+1 on the Pepermint Shrimp and Copperband Butterfly. The best approach is always a proactive one. IMO you are much better served adding an animal that will keep them in check, rather then adding chemicals that will kill corals if they are missused/overused.