• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Gyre help

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I did a water change today and noticed one side of the gyre pump isn't spinning. I tried to take it apart but it won't and afraid to break it. Any help appreciated.
I put my old pump back to have water movement.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Put it in a bucket with vinegar. Let it soak for a few hours.
Then turn it on.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I thought of that. The end not spinning is not snapped in properly. I tried but it won't go and there is a small gap.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
if it’s the new gyre it’s only 3 pieces nothing to worry about.
I would put it in a bucket of vinegar 1st. If there is a snail inside the vinegar will kill it. If it’s stuck because of sand or dirt the vinegar will remove it. I would turn the pump on in the bucket in a few hours of it sitting.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
if it’s the new gyre it’s only 3 pieces nothing to worry about.
I would put it in a bucket of vinegar 1st. If there is a snail inside the vinegar will kill it. If it’s stuck because of sand or dirt the vinegar will remove it. I would turn the pump on in the bucket in a few hours of it sitting.

I will give it shot today and soak it. If I still cannot take it apart will bring with me sat so you can show me how dumb I am.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I am not going on Saturday
Well anyone can show me. I did see bunch of white slime/film on the unit. the working side just kicked off and blew water out of the container. The broken side started to work but stopped.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Finally got this apart and a piece is missing. Anyone know what's called and where to get it? The black piece is missing on one side.

Attachments

• 20230428_155609.jpg
    20230428_155609.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Update. Found the piece stuck in housing. It's different than the other side. Problem is when I bought it all back together it doesn't work. But the motor spins when apart.