• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hanna ULR phosphate checker

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I have a question,
Do you guys who use the ulr phosphate checker run your test twice? I have been doing a second test right after the first and getting two really different results.
last night I got a .07 reading and then rand it again with the 3 minute timer and got a .03
These are the results almost every time. Two or three points different every time.
When I am stirring the reagent I always use a timer and always mix at same speed to keep results as consistent as possible.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The checkers usually have a +/- of .03 of accuracy, best to test 3 times and then avg out if you really want to be precise but I usually just go with the first reading if the reef is looking fine but if you are having issues I usually keep a different test kit on hand just to gauge where both is coming in.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
The checkers usually have a +/- of .03 of accuracy, best to test 3 times and then avg out if you really want to be precise but I usually just go with the first reading if the reef is looking fine but if you are having issues I usually keep a different test kit on hand just to gauge where both is coming in.
That’s what I have been doing. An average of three.
the first test is always higher then the next tests.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
That’s what I have been doing. An average of three.
the first test is always higher then the next tests.

hmm, might want to call Hanna and see if they can replace it if you are really getting different readings every test. hard to really gauge the phosphate tests unlike the alk test since you can buy reference kits for those. I don't think they have reference kits for the ULR Phos from what I know.

Double check the vials for fingerprints, and make sure the 10ml stamp is facing the same way both times. Prints and scratches on the vial mess with the reading.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Double check the vials for fingerprints, and make sure the 10ml stamp is facing the same way both times. Prints and scratches on the vial mess with the reading.
Never made sure the stamp was facing the same way but I am very sure there is no fingerprints or scratches on the vile. They are perfect and I clean the hell out of them right before they go into the checker with micro fiber.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
hmm, might want to call Hanna and see if they can replace it if you are really getting different readings every test. hard to really gauge the phosphate tests unlike the alk test since you can buy reference kits for those. I don't think they have reference kits for the ULR Phos from what I know.
I may contact them it’s pretty new, under a year

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Also. How many of you guys use the same vial for the test. I know it’s a time fire drill. But using the same vial for the test is ally important for consistence

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Using one vial to test and the other one to zero creates an issue in my opinion

Agreed. It isn't a rush for me when you cut the packet open in advance and create a V to pour it from. Also it doesn't take the reading until the end of the 3 minute countdown so some fine hassiness can go away in this 3 mins after mixing.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Sorry @saltkreep88 I had to mention this. You know when trying to retrain the elderly sometimes requires constant reinforcement

:)