• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hatching Brine

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
So finally got a nice size batch to hatch out. Maybe was using a non-flat bottom hatchery.
That being said it took 48hrs to get them to hatch. Is that normal? Thought it was 24hrs.
When I shine a flashlight so the shrimp congregate the light reflects off the other side. So its like have 2 flashlights; how do you prevent that? I did put black paper behind container but no good.

Thanks

If the water is cold it will take longer to hatch, that is why people suggest putting a put a light on it. I don't and but usually get a hatch between 12-24 hours with the water being 66. :oo:
I did recently buy decapsulated eggs that are suppose to be easier and hatch quicker but I am having a real hard time getting them to hatch for me... goes into 2 days and only about 1/2 hatch. They were expensive too so really annoying :mad:

I usually angle the flashlight sideways instead of directly in with any outside light off.

If the water is cold it will take longer to hatch, that is why people suggest putting a put a light on it. I don't and but usually get a hatch between 12-24 hours with the water being 66. :oo:
I did recently buy decapsulated eggs that are suppose to be easier and hatch quicker but I am having a real hard time getting them to hatch for me... goes into 2 days and only about 1/2 hatch. They were expensive too so really annoying :mad:

I usually angle the flashlight sideways instead of directly in with any outside light off.
I have a very simple hatchery nothing special at all and I just hang a domelight over the top of the whole thing about 8 to 10 inches up and just leave it there in the next morning it’s loaded