• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

HDTV/Receiver/VCR Hookup

I bought a 15" HDTV for our bedroom. I have it hooked up the DIRECTV HD receiver and it's working fine. I can't seem to get it hooked up properly to my DVD/VCR combo so that I can watch DVD's and VHS and record VHS. The diagram attached shows how it's hooked up now and all the ports on each piece of equip. If anyone can help me out,that would be great.

Attachments

• HOOKUP.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 72
Looks like your receiver doesn't have a passthrough and your tv only has one set of component hookups.

You could take the receiver out SVideo to the TV, and then run the DVD player to the TV Component. That's assuming it has the capability to use both at the same time. Some smaller units do not, and can only use one at a time.

C

concept3

Hey Mike, try this:

DirecTV receiver coax out to VCR coax in.
VCR coax out to TV (VCR & TV on channel 3). This will allow you to record your shows (not HD) into your VCR, watch them on channel 3 on your TV set.

DVD out from combo using Component Video (red green blue) and Audio (red + white), watch DVD's only this way on your TV.

Let me know how this works out, or PM me your number. I do Audio/Video and custom install stuff

Merv:

The problem is my DirecTV HD receiver doesn't have a "coax out" connection on the back. The other problen is the TV, because of it's size only has one set of Component connections and one set of A/V connections. What I ended up doing was picking up a switching box. I put all the wires into the sitching box and the wire the switching box to the TV. Then, depending what I want to watch, TV (input 1), VCR (input 2), or DVD(input 3) I just press the input 1, input 2, or input 3 button on the switching box. This is the only way I could figure to do it. Still doesn't resolve the recording issue, but I could record on the VCR in my family room.

malulu

NJRC Member
why not hookup the TV out to you DVD in?

if need help, call me, i can stop by to take a look.
thx

C

concept3

Mike, you could do this also:

DirecTV HD out to TV direct.

DirectTV composite audio video (yell/red/wht) out INTO DVD/VCR combo input Line 1

then, DVD/VCR output into TV yellow red white.

Make sure your combo unit is set to Line input 1 (not channel 3- it may say A/V input also, depends on the brand)

Dam Direct TV !!!!
Mike Im guessing u dont have an HDMI output on the tv right?
i hate my diret tv hd receiver i got the new one the the new dish
& i still loose signal when the sky gets dark, they said with the dish
i was not going to have that problem LIARS!
on a bright note HDTV Rocks !

Steve:

The small units rarely have HDMI inputs. I loose the picture during a storm too. My problem is I needed a TV that was no higher than 12.5" to fit in the dresser in our bedroom. I got a 15" Haier. For a samll HDTV, the HD channels look great. I'm now hooked. I want to get a 26" for the family room.