• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help! Cleaner Wrasse killing my Powder Brown Tang!

Well, not sure if he's killing him but the Pwdr Brown's not looking so good, I picked up a cleaner wrasse because my tangs were working the hell out of my neon goby & peppermint shrimps, so I figured the cleaner would be a good idea, at first it was fine, and everything else in the tank doesn't seem to mind letting the wrasse clean it for them, but the tang just won't let the wrasse near it, it actually crashes into rocks & the glass from trying to get away from the wrasse, it's now got a bunch of markings & scrapes from when it hits the rocks at full speed.

only option I can think of is get rid of the wrasse but that's gonna have to wait till later tonight as I'm on my way out the door in a minute.

Getting rid of the cleaner wrasse is the best idea. Not only is it bothering your tang, a cleaner wrasse feeds on parasites that it removes from other fish. This is a diet that is almost impossible to replicate in your typical size home reef. I would say that about 99% of cleaner wrasses die a slow death by starvation. This is one fish that should be left in the ocean, and not be captured for the aquarium trade.

I understood that before buying it. I just didn't know it'd be such a nuisance to the tang. Looks like things have calmed down though, the tang is swimming normally and the markings it had seem better. Also, it's now letting the wrasse do it's job.