• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help - LED work & scrubber rebuild

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Picked up a sump with a scrubber and there's rust on the fan/heatsink and half the LED diodes are burned out. It's from 302 Aquatics, which is no more.
Going to spec the fans and LEDs and order them (and all the other solutions the LEDs need), just have no idea how to put this stuff together.
Willing to travel and pay money (or good food and good beer) for assistance.
The fan replacement seems pretty straightforward, I know the LED work is delicate.

What type of LEDs to pick up?
Blue and red best?

Rust on fans, it spread to the aluminum on one side...
IMG_9111.jpg IMG_9112.jpg

One LED has full burnout, it was covered in saltcreep (which seemed to be holding it together) and one of the soldering points was melted away...
IMG_9113.jpg

The other LED has 6 of 10 diodes working...
IMG_9114.jpg

Any advice or instruction will be most appreciated.

Last edited:

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So, no help on the horizon, and don't want to get into a whole 'learn a new thing and spend lots of money' situation.
Research indicated I needed at least 20 watts of mixed red 660 and blue 420-440 LEDs, plus new fans which would ultimately lead to overspending, frustration, and overengineering, I decided to go simple.
Bought one of these... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GZ8WQF6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Going to silicon around any gaps in the unit and then modify the scrubber box itself to allow them to work efficiently.
In the interim I'll work on some LED instructionals and repair the original unit for the heck of it.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Mmm... 50w may be a bit much but I’ll probably pick one up anyways.
Thanks for the heads up.