• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Help Please

When I got home this evening my water temp was 90 degrees! I performed a water change and got the temperature dow to 80. Checked my heater and it appears ok (i left it off for now). I have a 14 gal Biocube standard set up no supplements. Which means everything in the tank fried! Xenia, polyps, Kenya tree, Mean Green are all closed tight.

Performed water test;

Calcium - 480 ppm, Hardness - 12dKH, Nitrate - 20 ppm, Phosphate - 0, PH - 8.2, Nitrite - 0, Ammonia - 0, Temp - 80, Gravity - 1.026.

Can anything be saved or is it just wait and see? Can I use any supplements? Does coral go into shock like fish and gradually come around?

Any suggestions!

malulu

NJRC Member
next time, don't make big changes like that, the big temp swing may cause more harm...
- should cool it down slowly by using a fan to blow at it
- or do little water change
- or flow some ice-cube inside a zip-bag, make sure the zip-bag is clean (food grade)

at this point, you can only wait...

you need to find out why the temp up so much? you don't want it to happen again tomorrow.

Those corals are pretty tough, I'd just wait it out for now. Definitely test your heater in a bucket of water to see what happened.

Are your nitrates 20ppm after the water change?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
What sort of lights do you have on the 14G? You may just want to yank the heater all together. Most nanos don't really need the heaters as the lights will just heat the water. If you have HQI bulbs then you really don't need the heater.

I've gone up in temp a bit myself. Never want to bring it down to fast, as previously stated. The bag of ice and fans are both great ideas and seem to work pretty well. Just watch your evap when running a fan. How old is heater? What is temp in home or place where tank is located?

Heater is about two years old, House temp is about 74 degrees. The temp appears stable, I lost a Suncoral and Candy Cane. Everything else is fighting back. I have the heater out of the tank and I am letting the lighting and house temp run the tank.

Don't give up on any of your corals right away. They may surprise you. I have a frogspawn that really was beat up by high temps last year and it is now doing pretty well.